Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19:14
Sunday, April 3, 2011
Where I Live
Can you believe that I actually uploaded this picture to my blog from my computer all by myself???? Now that is quite an accomplishment for me.
Some have asked to see where I live. This is the apartment building. Tom and Sara´s apartment is on the second floor - first one on this end. An apartment for me opened up this past week. It is on the third floor - third balcony from this end. I told you the floors as we Americans would say them. Here, first floor is called planta baja and then the next floor is first. So here I live on second floor. It is a very small apartment with two bedrooms, a small living-dining room combined and a tiny kitchen. But it is big enough for me and not much to keep clean. However... there is no elevator in the building so I have to walk to third floor - about 40 steps. Should keep me in shape. I will start moving into the apartment next week.
I hope to post some pictures of my classes soon. I get so busy doing what I need to do that I completely forget to take pictures. But I do want you to see these precious students. They are enjoying their English classes, especially all the songs we sing. The parents also seem to be quite pleased. Next week, the week before Easter I will give them the candy canes I brought and they will be taught the story behind the candy cane and how it is all about Jesus.
The dengue epidemic is still raging and many people are dying. I heard on the news that four people had died yesterday. The Ministry of Health is thinking about canceling all surgeries in the public hospitals so that there will be more beds for the dengue patients. They are covered with mosquito nets in the hospitals. One thing I do not understand -- there are NO screens on windows here even in the most expensive homes. The only reason I can come up with is that the people here like the out of doors. There is a big difference when you open the windows and doors and there are no screens to block your view. I like it. It is just like bringing the outdoors indoors. The small mosquito that carries the dengue virus lives in the low bushes and are active mostly during the evening and early morning hours. Morning classes in the schools begin at 7 AM so many students are walking to school during this dangerous time in the mornings. Please pray for the people here and pray for the epidemic to be halted in some way. The government here does not have the ability and capacity to do what needs to be done.
Also the American dollar is still falling. Since I came in February, it has fallen from 4580 to 4000 last week. That is a big drop in a short period of time, especially in a country that has always been friendly toward the American dollar and lots of things here are priced in American dollars. The fact that the US Congress has not passed a budget could have something to do with it. Let me ask you this question: Could the American dollar collapse? I do not know. Many are predicting it. It is something we do not want to think about. As I was thinking about it the other day, God reminded me of a verse in Psalm 91:4 "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge, his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." In my mind I can see the mother hen protecting her chicks under her wings. One would have to kill the mother hen to get to her chicks. We are under the shelter of God´s wings and NO ONE can kill God so that is the safest place to be. God is faithful to do what he has promised.
Enough for now. May God bless you and keep you. Thanks for your prayers and your support. If you would like to financially support this ministry, please look at one of the earlier posts for instructions of how to do it. Have a Jesus-filled week.