Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Comfort Zone

"Have I not commanded you?  Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9

"Always living in the safe zone of life and never taking chances actually makes one a thief and a robber.  You might think this statement a bit strong but the truth is always strong and the truth always makes us free.  If you spend your life keeping yourself safe, you rob everyone else of your gifts and talents simply because you are too afraid to step out and see what you can do in life.  Step out of your safe zone and let God surprise you."
Another quote from The Confident Woman Devotional by Joyce Meyer.

As a kid growing up (and until high school graduation), I was very shy in school and in public.   I just didn't have anything to say.   So.....the direction that my life has taken after high school graduation certainly has taken me out of my comfort zone.   Am I out  of my comfort zone now?  Well, you can read and decide for yourself.

I am in a group of people.   They are speaking Spanish and having fun but.....I can only understand about half of their conversation.   Comfortable???? not really but I am here because of God's promises.....which are not  always instantly fulfilled.    Is there any escape available?   Sure, I can almost always find someone who wants to speak to me in English and get back in my comfort zone.   My choice . .. God leaves it to me.   But which would be the most beneficial for me in the long run?   Out of my comfort zone.

The buses - In the Asuncion area there are probably about 100 bus lines all owned by different companies and all going different places.   The obvious decision-----obtain a master map of all the  bus routes.  But wait......I have been told that is not an option here because that does not exist.   The solution?  Ask your friends for information,  hope you receive correct info and try to remember it correctly.    Have I ever taken the wrong bus?   So far, one time, and I had to get off in an area that is not known to be safe. But God saw me down here, gave me wisdom and courage in the midst of my discomfort.    I remember the first
time I was coming back by bus to where I live now - a completely different area than where I lived for
nine years before - and I did not know exactly where to get off.  God had the answer ready.   A young lady sitting across from me realized my anxiety and asked "Where do you want to get off?"  I told her and she
said she would tell me.    And.... you think God is not concerned about the small things in our every day life?
Let me assure you, he is.

Let me just add something else about comfort  - physical comfort this time.  The buses here are not
noted for comfort.  They are not air-conditioned nor do they have heat.  The windows sometimes will not open and some will not close.   About 99% of the buses have hard metal seats - no padding.   They are
usually crowded - no passenger limit here.   If you can step inside the front door, you can ride.    The
drivers think they own  the streets and try to control them.   Most of the buses are probably almost 20
years old because yesterday there was a bus strike.   The law says the buses have to be replaced after
20 years.   The owners want to use them 30 years.   Does that tell you anything?  Also you have to
see the streets in this area.  Main streets are blacktop paved but other streets are stone streets - very
bumpy and lots of holes  everywhere.   It is an experience to ride a bus here.   And so far I have not
been robbed on the bus and I know a lot of people who have----at knifepoint -- and believe me
everyone knows that the robber will skillfully use his weapon.

But.....I do not tell you this to cause you to fear for me.    God is on my side.   He is always beside
me.   When we put our trust in HIM, we can always say......GOD IS GOOD.......ALL THE TIME.

I will try to share some more with you soon.   If you would like to write to me, my email address is
betty7baxter@yahoo.com.     Until next time, God bless you and thanks for your prayers and your support.
You are appreciated.