Monday, February 21, 2011

Finally.....

Sorry for  the delay in posting.  Finally got Sara and Tom's laptop to work.  The
computers at the cyber cafe can be called "interesting".  I hit the hyphen key this
morning and got a question mark.  Ha.  Such in life with different keyboard
designs.

Had  a good flight and made good connections in  Lima, Peru.  For you who have
been to Lima, you would not recognize the new airport and every time I go
through, they become more organized.   Unusual, but I like it.   This time there were
3 lines of security for in-transit travelers  compared to just one  the last time
I went through.    As Tom would say, I worried for nothing because an hour
was plenty of time.  And I do enjoy flying TACA Airlines.   All three suitcases
arrived  with me and undamaged.  Why is undamaged so important?????
I had two new suitcases badly damaged by another South American airline.
The complete flying time from Miami to Asuncion was only 10 and half hours
which is the shortest ever.

When I got off the plane here in Asuncion, I was welcomed by a gush of
very humid hot air.   I am thankful for an air conditioner in the apartment
but there is none in the school.   There are 225 students  enrolled for the
new year.  One class, second grade, has 31 students.   Can you imagine
31 students in a small non-airconditioned room?   If they can tolerate it
sitting down,  surely I can tolerate it standing up and moving.   It is
always an experience.   I will start with the 7, 8,  9 grade classes
Wednesday morning and then 4, 5, 6 grades on Thursday mornings.
Grades K, 1, 2, 3 will be in the afternoon during  the hottest part of
the day.

You people from Paraguay who read this blog might think it unusual
that I mention it to my friends in the USA but they will find it interesting.
Sunday morning as I was walking to church (9 blocks walking and then
catch a bus for about 10 minutes), there were cows grazing along the
sidewalks, very contented and seemingly there was no one around.
I  live  in San  Lorenzo, Paraguay, now and there is a little more
country here.  Never know what one might see.   Someone asked
for some pictures of my apartment.   Will attach pictures as soon
as I learn how. Ha. Ha.  All this technology wasn't taught to me in
elementary school.    Sara is coming soon so maybe she will have
time to teach me.

I am thinking of buying a Mac computer.   Any feedback from
anyone out there?   Everything I have heard has been positive.

We (the administrator of the school, the English teacher, and I)
will meet with a representative of a copy company tomorrow to
try to choose the best copier for the school ---- all  thanks to you
folks in the USA who generously gave for  this project.   Also I
will need to buy a cabinet to house the English materials for
protection and safety.  This will cost approximately $75.

Enough for now.   Will write more when I have time.    Have a lot
of things to prepare but need to find the materials first.  

Thanks for your prayers and support.   Please continue to pray.
Pray for energy during this hot weather.   But.....God is good.....
ALL the time no matter what the circumstances.  MAY GOD
BLESS YOU RICHLY.