Good morning, my friends. I am sorry that I have not blogged for such a long time.....Only excuse is -- not enough hours in the day. But really I just don´t think I accomplish quite as much in one day as in times past. Ha. Wonder why?
One morning last week, the first word that seemed to enter my mind was "friends." Then it occurred to me how precious and special my friends are to me. I thank God for each of you. You have each influenced my life in a unique way. Friends ---- one of the most wonderful gifts that God can give us. How lonely a life must be that is lived without friends. Last week was the first week since I returned here in February that I have had time to socialize with my friends over lunch or morning cappuccinos at my favorite place - Sugar. But friends are not perfect and neither am I. We fail each other at times even though we do so unintentionally. Then I thought of my friend, Jesus, who will never fail me. He walks the streets with me, rides on the bus with me, goes into the classroom with me, and loves the students through me. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command." John 15:13-14 Please pray that each student in the school will ask Jesus to be their friend, too. That is the purpose of the school and is the number one reason it exists.
Last week and this week are two weeks of winter vacation here. (I know that must be difficult for you to realize since most of you are baking in the extreme summer heat there -- the lows
are supposed to be in the low 40´s here for the next few days but last week it was up to 90.)
That is the reason I could do some socializing last week. I worked hard to get ahead so I could relax. Classes will begin again Monday, July 25.
Before winter break, the temperature plunged to 32 degrees several mornings and I actually could see frost on the roofs of the buildings around here. I do not remember seeing that before. Now...how would you like to go to school at 7 AM with the temperature around freezing and sit in classrooms with no heat? But, in reality, I think that is the way most of the world lives. Most people here do not have heat in their homes so they just bundle up and make the best of it. I have an air conditioner in my bedroom that also has heat. Since the buildings here are made of brick and cement (no insulation, wallboard, etc.) when they get cold through and through, it is like living inside of a refrigerator. When I could stand the cold no longer, I went into my bedroom, closed the door, and turned on the heat. But who wants to stay in one room all the time? Not me. But it is like Florida. The cold does not stay around for a long period of time. Eventually the sun shines and the heat returns. July is the coldest month of the year and January is the hottest month.
My mom has been very sick. She has been in the hospital three times in the last month. She is 94 years old and her body is worn out. Her kidneys have been weak for some time but they are
rapidly deteriorating now. So I feel like I need to go home to see her. I tried to get a ticket in July but, unless the tickets are purchased far in advance, they are outrageously expenive - like $5500. I will fly to Fort Myers on August 4 and then to West Virginia on August 6. I have a ticket to return to Paraguay on August 27. Please pray that God´s will be done and that he would give her HIS peace. Also pray for a safe trip for me.
Family Day for parents of grades K-3 was before vacation and I forgot to take my camera but there are some pictures on my facebook wall that the administrator posted if you would like to see them. The children do a lot of native dances and dress in the native costumes. They are so cute. You would enjoy seeing them. The building is the church building and the school is in the back part of the building.
Thanks for your prayers and support… Please continue to pray that each student would allow Jesus to be their very special friends.